• behance
  • dribbble
  • facebook
  • flickr
  • instagram
  • linkedin
  • twitter


Light weekend of cycling from me this past weekend. Got in a 46-mile ride (see above) Saturday morning before departing for the greater Glen Rose area and my 10-year high school reunion.

I’m getting old.

It seemed to be pretty evident by the ride Saturday. It was painfully slow for me. I don’t know why, either. My legs felt good, I actually thought my climbing went well after a couple weeks away from any hills. But, I still only managed to average 16.3 mph on the ride. There was a little wind going, and it got gusty at times, but nothing that should’ve held me back as much as I seemed to be held back.

I’m just going to blame it on humidity. That’s it. I’m not sure if that’s really a problem or not, but the thick air sure doesn’t motivate you to hammer the pedals for two hours.

After the reunion Saturday, I rolled out to spend the rest of the day and Sunday with my folks, sans bike. Every time I go somewhere without my bike, I regret it. I always think I won’t have time to sneak in a ride and generally the opposite is true.

Oh well, a rest day’s not bad. If anything, I thought maybe it would help me recover from whatever funk I was in Saturday.

This morning, I put that theory to the test. Things didn’t start off promising. I was once again struggling to keep a high pace. This isn’t just totally uncommon on a Monday. I mean it is Monday, after all.

I generally start off slow early in the week and finish rides strong. My morning rides are only 20 kilometers, so I don’t have much time to turn up the intensity. This morning it took me a little longer than normal to knock the cobwebs off, but just as I was lifting the pace, it was shot back down.

I can’t tell you what it was, but something stung the ever-loving piss out of my leg. The sting sent an immediate pain up and down my leg. It was burning like crazy. I thought that whatever was stinging me had continued to sting me. I started swatting at my leg, only to discover that there was nothing there. The burning sensation didn’t go away. Then my leg got good and tight and I had a good 6 or 7 miles to go.

Now, I have been stung by wasps and wasp-like creatures before. It stings. It burns. It’s not real pleasant. But I have never been stung right in the middle of any sort of exercise. The only two times I remember being stung in the past, I was just kind of standing around. So, other than some discomfort, it didn’t really affect me.

But this was extremely annoying and kind of shocking. At the time, I believe I was moving about 17 mph or so and this thing was able to land on my leg and give me a nasty little memory of his time on that leg.

Needless to say, it put a damper on the rest of the ride. I slugged on home. I think my average speed was in the 16s again. I haven’t even bothered uploading my GPS data.

Thanks gigantic insect (I’m guessing) for ruining my ride and leaving a tender, itchy spot on my leg. I hope by now a bus windshield has repaid you for the harm you’ve caused me.